Monday, September 12, 2011

Thoughts: New Fantasy Heroes Plastics

Hey guys,

So I’ve been watching as GW’s been releasing their new one-off Plastic heroes models, and I must say, as a hobbyist and a gamer, I’m extremely happy with them so far!

For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, with the release of Storm of Magic this summer, came a whole group of beautiful Wizard models. Everything from…

Necromancers:

m1850204a_99070207001_VampireNecromancer_873x627

to Chaos Sorcerers:

m1850199a_99070201002_TzeentchSorcerer_873x627

DSCF1451

Their most recent additions include possibly my current favorite: a Nurgle Lord.

Being a 40k player and fan more so than a Fantasy fan, I’ve been playing around with ideas to make work for Chaos Marines, Dark Eldar, etc. The Nurgle Lord looks extremely easy to do so with, just add some extra marine style armor. The best part is that they’re plastic, so they’re much easier to convert and work with than, say, resin, or pewter.

My biggest question, though, is whether or not this type of release is going to be implemented into Warhammer 40k.

These models are beautifully done and fill either empty or decrepit holes in the Fantasy model line, so why not do this for 40k? Just a couple I can think of:

  • Ministorum Priests
  • Daemon Heralds (I’ll ignore the $38 Tzeentch Finecast one…)
  • Space Marine Special Add-ons (Emperor’s Champion, Apothecaries, etc.)
  • Imperial Servitors
  • Ork Big Meks/Warbosses/Weirdboyz
  • Kroot Shapers

The fantasy ones seem like Generic Lord choices (Nurgle Lord, Necromancer, Witch). The list can go on. So, my readers, I would like you to sound off in the comments. What would you like to see GW do for 40k in the realm of one-off plastic kits. Would it be viable for 40k? Will GW even do it for 40k?

As for personal updates, nothing paintingwise really went down this weekend. Mainly social and school stuff got in the way. My paints should be in in the next day or two, so I’ll be able to get back to work on my Alpha Legion!

Granesh

4 comments:

  1. It should be noted that you are now paying a price for a plastic hero that is more than you paid for a metal one only like 4 years ago and only slightly less than a metal one right now (13.25 vs 15). These are not going to limited release since they only cost like 10 cents to produce each once they have paid for the molds which they already have. The question is if they can make back the mold costs fast enough to justify doing it for other armies. Space Marines have had a plastic commander kit for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Eriochrome: I think I misused 'one-off'. I meant it in the sense that its a single model that, like most character models, only needs to be purchased once, not that they
    I do remember when single pewter models were only running $10 or so, but I also acknowledge that this is a luxury hobby. The quality on some of these new plastics surpasses even the Finecast models, too.
    I know the Marines have had the $20 Commander box for a while, but I think the models I listed off, for the most part, wouldn't require the # of pieces (albeit nice) in the commander box.
    Thanks for your comment!

    Granesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see a Chaplin kit. But id rather it was a proper kit like the Commander one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Chaplain would be an interesting model for it, it'd definitely be popular, especially for conversions!

    Granesh

    ReplyDelete