Thursday, October 6, 2011

Painting: Just Gotta Roll with the Punches…

Hey guys,

So as I said, not a lot of hobbying done this week on account of my Sophomore Portfolio Review and a large paper due next Monday. I have, however, sat down a little and worked on the Khornate Daemon Prince:

DSCF1568

Totally rocking the crude looking Chainaxe that I’m not super happy with right now.

DSCF1569

A little more Greenstuff and some brass, and it’ll look dashing, if I do say so myself!

Alrighty, what this post is really about though. My Sophomore Portfolio Review turned out exactly as I figured: shitty. Pardon the language for all my loyal readers, but perfectly conveys the outcome.

I had my regular art ripped apart. And yes, I walked into the critique with models. Its my passion, and my firmest form of art. One professor stated that, because of my models, my time and passion for other artwork dwindled. Very true, its what I’m best at. I’m also certain that the pieces I brought in weren’t taken with any seriousness or understanding of their use, meaning, etc. Obviously, I didn’t just bring in figures, but pieces from other classes. Not my strongest pieces, but I don’t feel like they had the understanding or effect they were meant to have.

I was actually asked why I’m pursuing a degree if I already know I want to keep painting and everything for the rest of my life. I’ve asked myself that very question many, many times.

Company Command Squad

Is this critique going to stop me from pursuing an art major? Fuck no. Develop a burning hatred towards the art department? Nope. This critique was intended to knock EVERYONE out of their comfort zones. Some of the best artists in the class were graded the same as I was, so I’m not going to let this take me down.

I’m going to pursue my art with a passion and zeal never seen before. Expect more pictures of non-wargaming pieces in the future, I’d love feedback from you guys. /endrant.

Keep painting, my friends.

Granesh

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, do what you want, it's your life. And don't let them get you down, your models are awesome man.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let "The MAN" get you down Bro!!
    Art is obviously something your passionate about so stick with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys! I've found that the song 'To Bob Ross with Love' by Gym Class Heroes, exemplifies my attitude towards that critique perfectly (Go youtube it!)

    Granesh

    ReplyDelete