Thursday, November 17, 2011

Painting: Khorne Skull Champion; My First Attempt at a Balanced Necrons List

Hey guys,

So a couple of updates today. I’ve been catching up on schoolwork and relaxing today, as I’m waiting on 3 or 4 commissions to come in over the next week or so. Which has been nice, as I get to pull out some of my own projects and play around with some stuff.

The only thing I’ve really gotten done, though, was the Skull Champion for my Khorne Berserkers. First off, as I’ve said, I hate those ugly-ass Berserker helmets, so I replaced them with a set of the Warriors of Chaos helmets. The skull champion, of course, got the Skull helmet.

DSCF1772

The Lime Green Plasma kinda washed out…ugh. It’s a standard Berserker with a Blood Angels Death Company Powerfist, WoC helmet, and a RT-Era Plasma Pistol. The pistol’s magnetized, btw, so I can swap it out for a Bolt Pistol.

DSCF1774

You can see some of the Etching on the backpack and the Fist. I must say, $15 well spent! I have a ton of it left, so my Khorne Rhino will get some well-deserved attention when it arrives!

DSCF1773

Aspiring Champion photo shoot! Gotta work on my Chosen…

Also, as the title states, I’ve been working on a balanced Necron List so far. When I say balanced, I mean fun, effective, and well rounded. None of this Nine Tomb Spider with Scarabs bullshit. Also, just so everyone knows, I’m planning so far with models that have been released. I would like to add a Triarch Stalker, but can’t seem to agree on a size for it. Same with Wraiths, the old Necron Wraiths are too hard to get anymore.

So far, this is what I’ve gotten:

2000 Point Balanced Necrons

HQ (830 Points)

  • Necron Overlord with Warscythe, Phylactery, Resurrection Orb, and Mindshackle Scarabs in a Command Barge. (240)

Royal Court:

- Necron Lord #1 with Warscythe and Resurrection Orb. (75)

- Necron Lord #2 with Warscythe and Resurrection Orb. (75)

- Cryptek #1 with Harbinger of Destruction/Eldritch Lance, Gaze of Flame, and Solar Pulse (65)

  • Necron Overlord with Warscythe, Phylactery, Resurrection Orb, and Mindshackle Scarabs in a Command Barge. (240)

Royal Court:

- Necron Lord #3 with Warscythe and Resurrection Orb. (75)

- Cryptek #2 with Harbinger of Despair, Abyssal Staff, and Veil of Darkness. (60)

 

TROOPS (670)

  • Necron Warriors X20 (260) accompanied by Lord #1 and Cryptek #2.
  • Necron Warriors X9 (117) in a Ghost Ark, accompanied by Lord #2. (232)
  • Necron Warriors X9 (117) in a Ghost Ark, accompanied by Lord #3. (232)

ELITES (260)

  • C’Tan Shard with Grand Illusion and Writhing Worldscape (260)

FAST ATTACK (60)

  • 4 Canoptek Scarabs (60)

HEAVY SUPPORT (175)

  • Doomsday Ark (175)

DSCF1751

The first problem with this list is the size of both the Troops Choices and the HQ. The Royal Courts get very expensive very quickly, so if I drop one of the Warrior Squads in the Ghost Arks, or even lower the amount of Warriors in the 20 man squad, I’ll have more points to spend.

Plans for the list:

  • Overlords use their barges to Turbo-Boost over your Opponent, slashing and damaging anything with the Scythes. Phylactery means that the Lord doesn’t have to worry about using wounds to keep the Barge alive, and the Resurrection Orb ups his chances of getting up.
  • Large, 20 man squad with the Veil of Darkness Cryptek and Lord is there to bubblewrap the Doomsday Ark, as well as Deep Strike near enemy objectives late in the game.
  • Ghost Arks help keep the 20 Man Squad alive, and can travel to other objectives as necessary.
  • Doomsday Ark provides anti-armour fire, and can stay stationary for most if not  the entire game.
  • C’Tan provides CC backup for the Overlords while allowing for necessary redeployment and movement hindrance.

This army, unfortunately, doesn’t really flow. It feels too one-trick pony for my taste. I need to modify the Troops and HQ, as well as create a more synergistic flow between everything. I do like Scarabs and Spyders (one, maybe two), I personally like lots of Troops choices, and some hard-hitting CC guys. Any feedback or ideas on the list is greatly appreciated guys!

Alrighty, hoping Magilla’s commission arrives tomorrow, as well as my new Rhino and some Menoth bitz! Thanksgiving Break ho!

Granesh

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping my stuff gets to you tomorrow as well...but for completely selfish reasons!
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete