So I figured it was time to jump back into the Tactica posts a little, I haven’t played my Guard in over a month, but I have been reading the rules, playing with things, and reading Tactics around the blogosphere. Lately, there’s been an interest in Feel No Pain and its effects in the game.
Bell of Lost Souls wonders if its being given out too freely, and 666 Terminus Est 666 ponders the question if Sanguinary Priests are worth it in a Mech Blood Angels Army. So I figured I’d jump on board, pull out the ol’ Guard Codex, and see if Feel No Pain is worth it in the Imperial Guard.
First off, lets look at Feel No Pain in the Guard.
- Saving Wounds on a 4+ is amazing!
- Having a Failsafe against Overheating Plasma is a nice tool to keep them alive.
- Your Command Squad are the most effective tools in the Imperial Guard, you really don’t want them dead by an exploding Chimera
- You won’t be getting Feel No Pain on anything higher than a Heavy Bolter, and most Close Combat, like usual, will ruin your day.
- Only Company and Platoon Commands can take Feel No Pain (Medics) in the first place.
- Is a 30 point upgrade worth it to give a 5 man Squad FNP?
Hmmm….3 Pros, 3 Cons…this is gonna be hard to justify…or is it? In the Imperial Guard, only two units can take Feel No Pain: Company Command Squads and Platoon Command Squads. While the big guns are a key component of the Imperial Guard, the infantry are the real heroes. Now I believe I’ve posted my standard Guard list before, but if I haven’t/you can’t remember what it was, I run 60 guardsmen, split over 2 Platoons, on foot. I do it for a couple of reasons:
- They Protect the tanks when Drop Pods and Mycetic Spores come down.
- First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire! is way too good, and allows your tanks to fire at real targets instead of the Assault Marines getting too close.
- Chimeras are fun, but an equal mix of Mech and Infantry, I feel, are crucial in an All-Comers Guard Army.
Anyways, that’s not the point of the article. I run Medics on my Command Squads, all of which are in Chimeras, to keep my Orders Systems running at Tip-Top shape. The Medic helps prevent stupid deaths at the hands of things like exploding Chimeras and Overheating Plasma, as well as small arms fire like Bolters, Lasguns, and Splinter Rifles.
Is a Medic worth it in a Guard army? I wholeheartedly believe so. If you’re correctly utilizing your Order System, as well as using your Command Squads as mobile Gun Platforms (WS 4!), a Medic will definitely keep them alive to do the job they set out to do.
I want to hear your thoughts and ideas about FNP in the Guard. Do you run Medics? How do they do for you, especially in a Guard metagame dominated by Leafblower?