Tuesday, March 11, 2014

3/11/14: Finished: Tyranid Monstrous Creature Parade!

Howdy folks!

Whew! Its been a busy week! As soon as I wrapped up that Wraithknight, it was on to the Tyranids! This commission consisted of 2 Hive Tyrants, 2 Haruspex/Exocrine, and 2 Harpy/Hive Crone, fully magnetized, and painted to match a client's existing force! Easy peasy, no sweat! I was given a list of paints, the steps they were done in, and it was pretty much point and click. Went through 3 pots of Seraphim Sepia though just to do this commission; I'm not a wash painter, I mean I'll use them, but not for core shading and bases, so going through that much was a surprise! I'll shut up, and jump right into them, shall we?



Above is the scheme I was told to match. Good looking tabletop force, original scheme, fun to see!


The Tyrants! Every option is magnetized, from the Wings, to the Heavy Venom Cannons and Bone Sabres! The Devourers are just taken from my bits box of old Carnifex pieces from when I was making Tervigon models!
 I need to touch up some of the black; even with varnish, the spikes just love to chip!







My favorite models, the Haruspex is just the epitome of scary alien monster! The icky mouth, the crab claws, the bulk demeanor...*shudders* The mandibles and mouth was just washed with Carroburg Crimson, and really gives that nasty, inner-mouth look.   


Personally, I'm not a fan of my aliens having giant silly cannons for hats, but hey, if its good in game...



You can see the magnets on the inside. 3, in a triangle shape, allow for both the Exocrine and Haruspex to be magnetized! Very simple and easy to do!


The Harpy/Hive Crone! This model proved interesting....
I glued the gun arms in, rather than the sacs or magnetizing them, and just allowed the guns to magnetize on or off. They still look like they're powering the Hive Crone's maw gun, and yet are still more stable than using magnets. 






Ah, the little Spores. These painted up really quickly, and were kinda fun to paint, despite being more of a token than anything!

Man, that's a lot of models painted really fast! Tomorrow will be a day of taxes and working on some personal projects, Wednesday I work at the shop, and Thursday, I'll be on a plane flying to Hawaii with my girlfriend! A vacation will be really nice! As a result, Smells Like Wargaming will be away from the 13th to the 22nd; I'll have my phone and Facebook, but any emails and questions will be answered when I return. When I get back, its Starship Troopers and terrain! 

Stay tuned folks!

Granesh

No comments:

Post a Comment